Saturday 5 May 2012

From Britain, contemplating east

I am British, I live in Britain, I am surrounded by a British worldview.

There are however many other countries and languages in the world.  Strange as it may seem, the members of these nations don't always share conclusions with my countrymen.  Their worldview is different, shaped by differing external influences, challenges and resources.

There is immense richness and value in metaphorically stepping into a pair of foreign shoes.  Doing so you opens the door to a whole new perspective, not necessarily the right or wrong one, however doubtlessly different.  This has huge currency when considering what's important in life.  Seeing how another language and culture perceives the gospel - the core of Christian faith - shows me ever greater the immeasurable riches that are found in being part of God's family.

The opportunities I have had (and hope to have in the future) of visiting central and eastern Europe have been incredibly valuable to me in enhancing my outlook, service, knowledge of and for Jesus.  The aim of this blog is to be a reflection on these and my contemplations east, as I continue to gain and learn from the world outside of the shores of "jolly ol' Blighty"!


So, to quote scripture:

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God - Colossians 1:9-10  

For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face, that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge - Colossians 2:1-3


http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mmo/lowres/mmon228l.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment